Monday, March 22, 2010

SPRING SAMPLER

I sat down this morning to work on my spring sampler, between loads of laundry. A few weeks ago, I signed up for Teresa McFayden's freestyle embroidery e-zine. For a while now, I have been working on a couple of samplers. Stitching on one and then stitching on the other--kinda going back and forth, depending on my mood. Needless to say, both are not finished. But, this particular sampler, I have been working on exclusively, since I signed up for the class. I am enjoying it very much.

Anyway---As I was laying it all out on the floor, my little furry buddy, Chester strolled over for a visit. He was such a happy kitty and purring so loudly. He decided to just plop himself down on top of my stitching, thinking it looked like a cozy spot. Or---maybe he was thinking, "No, you aren't working on this, you are going to pet and love me instead." Well, he was right. I did not work on my sampler, I sat and loved my Chester cat instead!

But, I do have some photos of my work in progress to share with you.

I'm adding fun little bits and pieces as I go along. I am using a few of the elements that were included with the e-zine, but mostly I'm doing my own thing.

Here is a fun little vignette using basic stitches, such as the back stitch, running stitch and the satin stitch. I have included beads, pearls, a velvet flower and scraps of fabric and lace. a garden of posies---Kelli style!
I love using scraps of fabric to stitch on before I add it to the base piece. It adds texture. Here, I used alot of french knots, the lazy daisy stitch and the word bloom was done with the back stitch.
I try to find time on most days to do a little something on my sampler. Somedays, I have time to do more involved things and some days just a few stitches here and there. I find it very relaxing and very fulfilling. Just a little creative something to make me happy.
Hope you all find a little creative something to make yourself happy this week.


15 comments:

Lorrie said...

Your creation is beautiful - love the colours.

vintage girl at heart said...

I have so enjoyed blog hopping and looking at everyone's samplers. They are just so amazing and the details on yours is just lovely. Truly a little work of art.
A little vintage and oh so Spring time fresh!
Blessings~

Jane, at Thepaperaffair said...

Oh my just wonderful, how FUN. Love your Kittie too, I have two and SO know what you mean but they are such fun too and waiting for a little kittie time. Hope you are doing well. Jane

LindaSonia said...

Love your sampler. Have a few of your creations so I'm not surprised it's gorgeous!! LindaSonia

sandy l said...

Our favorite kitty--Chester!

The stitching is lovely. How is the new/old sewing machine working?

We are getting psyched for the Md. Sheep & Wool and it looks like we're spraying our hair pink.

June said...

Kelli I just knew your's would be special. Such beautiful stitching! I have to back to have another look of this lovely thing. I can see why your sweet kitty wanted to be right in the middle of it.
hugs

Anonymous said...

Honey,
Your sampler is beautiful...love the stitching! Did you use "Miss Bessy Pearl"? I love the "garden of posies"! Hug my friend Chester for me!
Love,
Mom

cupcake studio said...

Your sampler is so pretty! Such awesome details & colors! Wow.

Harrison Pollak said...

Pure Kelli Style!!
xo

cammy@freckledfarm said...

okay, I see Harrison has been on my computer again. However, I'm sure he would agree that your sampler is Pure Kelli Style.
xo

Anonymous said...

Very pretty. Can't wait to see more.
Yvonne

Kristen Pare said...

Kelli, I love your sampler. I just tried my first one with mixed media supplies posted on my blog. Hope to see you.
Kris

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

Your attention to detail is both astounding and highly inspiring. Thanks for this beautiful blog! I will definitely add this one to my list of blogs to watch ;)

Mitzi Curi said...

Oh my, what lovely things you create! I discovered your blog via Andrea. I will definitely be returning to this fantastic location!

Liesbeth said...

I have just discovered the art of slow stitching/free stitching, it seems so relaxing and fun to me....you work is beautiful and inspiring!